School School of Liberal Arts (인문학부)
Position Associate Professor
Ph.D. in Communication Studies, The University of Iowa
Interdisciplinary Certificate in the Project on Rhetorics of Inquiry (POROI), The University of Iowa
Areas of Research and Teaching
- Rhetoric of Science, Technology, and Medicine
- Critical/Cultural Studies
Courses Taught at UNIST
- Effective Communication
- Understanding Korea
- Topics in Communication Studies: Rhetorics of Techno-Science
- Introduction to Communication Studies
- Speaking and Writing: Rhetorical Approaches
- Media and Culture
- Media Technology and Human Values
- Global Politics and Media
Scholarly Publications (Selected)
Books and Translations
- [책, 텔레비전을 말하다] Books Talk About Television: Canonic Texts in Broadcasting and Telecommunications Studies. Seoul: CultureLook, 2013. (in Korean; co-author)
- [마르크스, TV를 켜다: 마르크스주의 미디어 연구의 쟁점과 전망]. Seoul: Hanul, 2013. (co-translator of Marxism and Media Studies: Key Concepts and Contemporary Trends authored by Mike Wayne [Pluto Press, 2003])
Journal Articles (*Corresponding Author)
- Sung, Minkyu (2019), “Triad of Colonialism, Anti-Communism, and Neo-Liberalism: Decolonizing Surveillance Studies in South Korea,” Surveillance & Society 17 (5), pp. 730-733.
- Sung, Minkyu (2019), “The Rhetoric of the Binge-Eating Body: An Ethics of Mourning in Post-Sewol South Korea,” International Journal of Media & Cultural Politics 15 (3), pp. 385-390. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1386/macp_00008_7.
- Sung, Minkyu (2019), “Balloon Warriors for North Korean Human Rights Activism: A Critique of North Korean Defector-Activists’ Post-Humanitarianism,” Critical Asian Studies 51 (3), pp. 355-367. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14672715.2019.1596750.
- Sung, Minkyu (2018), “Not Yet Post-Cold War Era: A Genealogical Search for the Cold War Discursive Infrastructure in Counter-Jongbuk Surveillance Politics,” Korea Journal 58 (4), pp. 5-32.
- Sung, Minkyu (2017), “No Time to Fumble with North Korea: Park Geun-hye’s Multiple Pivots,” Transnational Asia 1 (2 ) DOI: https://doi.org/10.25613/22gd-5t20.
- Sung, Minkyu (2017), “Surveillance and Anti-Communist Authoritarianism in South Korea,” Surveillance & Society 15 (3/4), pp. 486-490.
- Sung, Minkyu (2017), “The Depressed Self in Bare Thinking: A Rhetoric-of-Medicine Critique of Han Byeong-cheol’s Leistungsgesellschaft (Achievement-driven Society) (벌거벗은 사유에 놓인 우울한 자아: 한병철의 성과사회에 대한 과학-의학의 수사학적 비판),” Media and Society (언론과 사회) 27 (2), pp. 102-136. (in Korean)
- Kim, Jin-Young and Sung, Minkyu* (2016), “Locating ‘the Local’ in the Local Television Investigative Journalism Show of Ulsan MBC’s Doljikgu 40 (지역 텔레비전 탐사보도 프로그램의 지역성 구현에 관한 연구: 울산MBC <돌직구 40>에 대한 사례 연구),” Journal of Image and Cultural Contents (영상문화콘텐츠연구) 11, pp. 47-77. (in Korean)
- Sung, Minkyu (2015), “The Biopolitic of North Korea: Political Crisis, the Body, and Visual Power,” Seoul Journal of Korean Studies 28 (2), pp. 231-256.
- Sung, Minkyu (2015), “An Abuse of Culture: North Korean Settlers, Multiculturalism, and Liberal Democracy,” Asian Social Science 11 (4), pp. 48-54. DOI: 10.5539/ass.v11n4p48. *A book chapter reprint in Democracy and Civil Society in a Global Era, edited by Scott Nicholas Romaniuk and Marguerite Marlin (London: Routledge, 2016).
- Kim, Son-Ho and Sung, Minkyu* (2014), “Empathy as a Communication Concept (커뮤니케이션 실천으로서 공감: 시론적 고찰),” Media and Society (언론과 사회) 22 (1), pp. 5-34. (in Korean)
- Sung, Minkyu (2013), “Ethico-Politics of Courage and Communication: An Understanding through Michel Foucault’s Work (용기의 윤리정치와 커뮤니케이션: 미셸 푸코의 사유를 중심으로),” Korean Journal of Journalism and Communication Studies (한국언론학보) 57 (4), pp. 218-242. (in Korean) *New Scholar’s Best Paper of the Year Award from the Korea Association of Journalism and Communication Studies. (한국언론학회 우당신진언론학자상)
- Sung, Minkyu (2013), “Social Darwinism in Modern Korea: A Rhetoric of Historical Inquiry,” Korean Journal of Rhetoric (수사학) 18 (1), pp. 143-165.
- Sung, Minkyu (2012), “Recasting the ‘Inter-Korea’ in National Reconciliation,” Acta Koreana 15 (1), pp. 201-219.
- Sung, Minkyu (2012), “Performativity of Ethical Practices in an Era of Neo-Liberalism: Television Courtroom Shows, Governmentality, and Television Culture,” Social Science Review (사회과학논집) 43 (1), pp. 151-170.
- Sung, Minkyu (2012), “Social Media’s Cultural Politics: the Aestheticization of Journalism in an Era of ‘Excessive’ Communication, (소셜미디어의 문화정치: ‘저널리즘 미학화’에 놓인 ‘과잉’ 커뮤니케이션,” Communication Theories (커뮤니케이션 이론) 8 (1), pp. 30-60 (in Korean). *Reprinted in Article (아티클): A Journal of Contemporary Art (no. 18, January 2013) with recognition of “an insightful contribution to aesthetics.”
- Sung, Minkyu (2011), “Information Access Rights and Digital Culture (정보접근권과 디지털 문화),” Journal of Image and Cultural Contents (영상문화콘텐츠연구) 4, pp. 27-44. (in Korean)
- Sung, Minkyu (2010), “Questioning the Neo-Liberal ‘Dromocratic’ Regime: Politics of ‘Speed’ and Urban Communications Networks in Neo-Liberal Restructuring,” Communication Science (커뮤니케이션 과학) 27 (2), pp. 3-34.
- Lee, Young-Suk and Sung, Minkyu* (2010), “A New Direction on Korean Buddhist Culture Studies in the Digital Ubiquitous Communication: An Understanding of Religious Character Classifications (유비쿼터스를 활용한 불교문화콘텐츠의 새로운 연구방향),” Korea Design Forum (한국디자인포럼) 29, pp. 421-430 (in Korean).
- Sung, Minkyu (2010), “The Psychiatric Power of Neo-liberal Citizenship: the North Korean Human Rights Crisis, North Korean Settlers, and Incompetent Citizens,” Citizenship Studies 14 (2), pp. 127-144. *A book chapter reprint in South Korea in Transition: Politics and Culture of Citizenship, edited by Kyung-Sup Chang (London: Routledge, 2016).
- Sung, Minkyu (2009), “The ‘Truth Politics’ of Anti-North Koreanism: the Post-Ideological Cultural Representation of North Korea and the Cultural Criticisms of Korean Nationalism,” Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 10 (3), pp. 439-459.
- Sung, Minkyu (2012), “Invited Book Review of Witness to Transformation: Refugee Insights into North Korea,” Pacific Affairs 85 (2), pp. 422-424.
Invited Reports (Selected)
- Sung, Minkyu (2009), “Trends in U.S. Television Production: Hollywood Runaway Production and ‘Location Interests,’” in Ho-Jin Yoon (ed.) Understanding the HD TV Drama Production Infrastructures. Seoul: Korea: Korea Broadcasting Institute, pp. 207-226.
- Sung, Minkyu (2008), “The Freedom of Information Act: A Lesson to New Conservative Liberal Democracy in South Korea,” Bangsong Munhwa (Broadcasting Culture), November, pp. 30-34.
- Sung, Minkyu (2007), “U.S. Broadband Policy Regulations on the “White Space” and the Production of Digital Culture,” Korean Broadcasting Institute Broadcasting Trend and Analysis, no. 260, pp. 1-9.
- Sung, Minkyu (2007), “How Can We Construct the Grassroots Network of Digital Culture? Revisiting the Network Neutrality Debate,” Korean Broadcasting Institute Broadcasting Trend and Analysis, no. 259, pp. 1-10.
- Sung, Minkyu (2007), “Is Media Convergence Promoting Market Competitions?” Korean Broadcasting Institute Broadcasting Trend and Analysis, no. 248, pp. 3-9.
- Sung, Minkyu (2006), “Social Digitalization and Digital Populism: Keywords in the US Network Industry,” Korean Broadcasting Institute Broadcasting Trend and Analysis, no. 245, pp. 42-48.
- Sung, Minkyu (2006), “A New Participatory Democracy? Interactive Television and Mass-Customized Culture,” Korean Broadcasting Institute Broadcasting Trend and Analysis, no. 236, pp. 30-38.
- Sung, Minkyu (2006), “The Privatization of Public Memory: Independent Documentary Production and the Smithsonian-Showtime Project,” Korean Broadcasting Institute Broadcasting Trend and Analysis, no. 231, pp. 11-19.
Honors, Awards, Grants (Selected)
Scholarly Community Awards & Grants
- The Best Poster Paper Award of the Activism, Communication, and Social Justice Interest Group, the 69th International Communication Association annual conference, May 23-28, 2019, Washington, DC.
- Fellowship of the Year 2018, Broadcasting Culture Foundation of Korea (방송문화진흥회): “A Study on the Audience Reception of Broadcasting Content in an Era of ‘Television 3.0’: A Legal, Institutional, and Cultural Exploration of Information Communication Technologies at Home” (36,000,000 KRW equivalent to 34,000 USD), 2018.
- New Scholar’s Best Paper of the Year Award (우당신진언론학자상), Korea Association of Journalism and Communication Studies, October 2013.
University Wide Awards & Grants
- UNIST Faculty Research Grants for Science-Humanities Convergence (3,900,000 KRW), 2016.
- University of Iowa (UI) Graduate College Summer Fellowship (3,000 USD), 2009.
- UI Communication Studies Department Dissertation Finishing Semester Fellowship (two course releases: 9,900 USD), Spring 2008.
- UI Crossing Borders Fellow for International Studies: two course releases (10,000 USD), 2005-06.
- UI Crossing Borders Summer Research Travel Grants (5,000 USD), 2005-06.
- UI Stanley Fellowship for Graduate International Research to South Korea and Japan (2,500 USD), Winter 2006.
- UI Graduate Senate Research Travel Grant, (300 USD), Summer 2006.
- UI Student Government Scholarly Presentation Grants (200 USD), Spring 2004 and Spring 2006.
National Research Foundation of Korea Grants
- New Scholar Research Grant in the Humanities and Social Sciences: “Rhetorics of the Techniques of the Self in South Korean Healing Culture” (10,000,000 KRW equivalent to 9,000 USD), 2015.
- New Scholar Research Grant in the Humanities and Social Sciences: “Multiculturalism and Public Culture in South Korea” (9,000,000 KRW equivalent to 8,000 USD), 2013.
- Small Group Research Initiative Grant: “Science Communication in Korea” (2,000,000 KRW equivalent to 1,800 USD), 2011-2012.
University-Local Community Collaboration Grants
- Principal Investigator, Ulju-gun Opinion Leaders Program, April – July 2015. (20,000,000 KRW)
- Principal Investigato, Ulju-gun Opinion Leaders Program, September – December 2014 (25,000,000 KRW)
Professional Service and Academic Networks (Selected)
- Director of Student Residence, UNIST (2014-2017)
- Public Relations and External Cooperation Committee, UNIST (2011-2014)
- Student Affairs Committee, UNIST (2013-2017)
- Humanities Committee, Korea Association of Journalism and Communication Studies (2012)
- Editorial Board Member, Communication Theories (2011-2013), Journal of Korean Broadcasting and Telecommunications (2014-2016), Media and Society (2014-present)
- Special Project Committee, Korea Women’s Communication Association (2012)
Rhetoric Society of Korea; Korea Association of Journalism and Communication Studies; Korea Association for Broadcasting and Telecommunications Studies; Korea Association for Communication and Information Studies
Ad Hoc Reviewer (selected)
Journal of Sociology, Asian Journal of Communication, Citizenship Studies, International Journal of Cultural Policy